Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blog 2

The section I reviewed was The 21st Century School. I found it to be really remarkable that through the use of technology the students performing at grade level in math went up from nine to 62 percent in three years. Some of the students said that the use of technology gave them a feeling of independence. However, the laptops were also used for personal use during lessons (AIM, MySpace) which was in one respect frowned upon but it also helped the students learn how to multitask-which one teacher said was a skill needed for future work. I did like how the school used the technology in a variety of different ways, such as checking answers, blogs, Google Docs, and excel. I found it funny how the assistant principal could monitor the students' use of the laptops. I think this school was affected in a positive way by its use of technology. The students are learning multiple skills and are also being challenged. I think this also makes learning more accessible to students because it offers a variety of ways to get a lesson across. I think if technology could be used like this in more schools it would be a positive thing and move students forward.

5 comments:

  1. Wow 9-62 pertcent increase that is a huge jump over three years. I would be interetsed in the data for that. I do see a value in technology in the classroom, but when you said the kids were on aim and myspace, I was a bit taken back by the teachers comment of multitaksing is a skill they need for the workforce. kids need to stay on task. I view multitasking a bit different and debate this with many people. I would rather focus on something 100%, then split my focus on multiple activities. I feel things just get left out when people try to multitask. The realtiy of the situation is I think that teacher did not plan well and that is why his students were wandering off task(I did not see the video). I guess this is the real danger of technology in schools that many people are afraid of. People navigate technology at different paces and as teachers we have to have a plan for those students who get their work done faster then the others. Nother aspect is what happens when one teacher aloows something like looking at afcebook during class and another doesnt. KNow the kids get confused by the rules and put both teachers in a difficult situaiuon. Again, I am all for technology in schools, but whatever is going to happen with the amount of technology in schools, the rules have to be set by the district and stricly followed by the teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that was interesting how much performance increased with the use of technology. I think that technology, like laptops, allows students to think and solve problems in different ways. The use of computers for things other than schoolwork could pose a problem, but I think that overall it is a good thing. I also think that the more students become familiar with this technology, the better they will do in the workplace, because there are a lot of workplaces today that are centered around technology and collaboration as a means to completing certain tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right and when most students are familiar to the technology, they can reach every information easily. Because of this, they feel independence and since learning is better conditions,students can perform at their best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. Technology is incredibly versatile and therefore can fit the needs of all students in one way or another. I mean it is unique much like the learning style of each individual. It really serves as an extension to the capabilities of each student and helps foster a working knowledge of how to use various materials inside and outside of the classroom. Also students will learn more about how they learn and more about their interests as the progress in the field of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about multitasking. I think that it is rare that someone will be able to work to their full potential while being distracted by other things at the same time. I think for the majority of people there is a lot of temptation when sitting in front of a computer to stray from the task that is being completed. Although this temptation exists, I think that in many situations technology can be very beneficial, for example in the 21st century school. As long as rules and guidelines are strongly enforced, I think computers in a controlled classroom could be very valuable learning tools.

    ReplyDelete