Sunday, February 13, 2011

blog 3

After going over all the copyright laws I was surprised by how many there actually are. As a student you don't think about the illegalities of getting a photocopy of some pages out of a workbook. But as a teacher, if you distribute the material you and the school can get in trouble. I mean I guess there is some leeway because some of the copyright laws were based on "fair use" but I feel like there are still a lot of laws to think about. As a future teacher this will affect what I do in the classroom. There are laws based on what movies can be viewed as well as what and how many photos can be used. This would affect me because if I was making a Powerpoint but wanted to use more than five pictures from one artist I couldn't do that. There's a lot to think about.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that as students we do not even think the material we receive may be not conform to the standards of the copyright laws. Furthermore, most teachers probably do not think they are do anything wrong. My wife teaches and I was talking to her after our class. She is in one of those buildings that encourages them to use photocopies from the books. She may or may not be breaking copyright laws, but she has had no training in the subject and really doesn't know. She does what the administration asks her to do. I guess many teachers just assume that because they are asked to do it, it must be right. Obliviously there is not a quick fix and teachers will continue their practices because they feel that it is good for education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I was also surprised by the amount of copyright laws there are. I never knew that many existed!! I also think I was really surprised partially because no one ever told me what is considered breaking the law when it comes to copyright. I'm glad that we were able to learn about this in class because it will really effect what I'm allowed to do in regards to making materials available for myself and my classroom. It copyright laws definitely restrict the usage of some materials or the way in which we use them. However, there are also ways of getting around, by directly approaching the creator of the work and asking permission to use it. Whether they allow for it or not is a different story, but I'm glad we learned that there are alternatives to getting the information you want and being able to use it without getting in trouble for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear what your saying. I had no idea the laws were so strict. It's actually pretty frustrating that they are so strict. Personally, I see a huge difference between a school producing mass copies of a workbook or textbook, and a student using too many slides from one artist in their presentation. I wonder how that artist or their publisher would react if you called them to ask if you can show 8 of their slides in your project? Would they consider your question a waste of their time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might be surprised if we just took the time to ask permission. I have had pretty good luck when I asked the author for permission.

    ReplyDelete