Sunday, March 27, 2011
blog 6
I thought the article "Let Kids Rule the School" by Susan Engel was really interesting. I think that when students have an opportunity to take control of their learning they develop their own interests and retain the information better. Sometimes when students become passive learners and strictly memorize what the school deems important students lose interest and sight of what is important to themselves. For instance a student in the article says that "I did well before [the Independent Project]. But I had forgotten what I actually like doing" (p.2). When control is given to the students they become more interested in what they are learning and become active participants in the seeking of new information. As in the article, the students were allowed to come up with their own curriculum framing questions and concentrated on these. These questions were things the students wanted to know more about and things the students found interesting. I found it to be a really great thing that the students who participated in the Independent Project were able to accomplish more than what the school expected of them. The students also performed better in subjects that they had previously been doing poorly in. It's important that the students have some say in their education, after all it is their education.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that students learn and retain more information when they are interested in the topic. However, I disagree with letting stduents take control of what they want to learn. You can refer to my post for my thoughts. The probelm for me is that these schools offer the same traditional teaching methods, teachers stand up in front of the class and just talk. Teachers need to make classes fun and interesting and that is the way we can reach students. I refuse to be the teacher that just lectures. I want my stuednt actively enaged in my lessons by using role playing and simulation activities. Instead of just reciting facts my classroom will be more investigation into history. I know it will be hard to do but this is why teaching is great. We have the ability to use methods of our choosing, as long as students are learning.
ReplyDeleteI agree that students should have some choice about what they learn. The teacher could have the students fill out a survey for an upcoming unit to see what they students want to learn or find interesting. The teacher can use this to design engaging lessons that accomodate student interests. I agree with Mike about teachers needing to make classes fun and interesting. I will also not be the teacher who just lectures. I think lecture have value but cannot be the sole method of instruction. I think this is the reason why many students do not like social studies or school in general.
ReplyDeleteI agree with everything that is being said here. There are ways to allow for activities that are self-governed and there is much room for improvement in terms of students having more input in their education. Although there is a framework to education, there are ways to make it fun and interesting like these independent projects or even conducting a survey like Alan said. I think by allowing these opportunities it gives students a sense of freedom,that they do have a voice in what they are learning and what it is they have an interest in. I think by allowing for these liberties, it creates a bond between the teacher and the students as well. And by students reflecting on what it is they are interested in, they will learn what they like, dislike, want to know more about, and what their capabilities are. Overall, I think there are many advantages to letting students have a voice in their education.
ReplyDeleteI agree with everything that you said here in reference to students being told to memorize things. The vast majority of things that I was told to memorize while in class has absolutely no significance to me or my life right now and it was worthless because I do not have that information stored in my head anymore after spending countless hours tricking my brain into memorizing information just so I could pass a test. I find that ridiculous. I feel that if information was presented in a different way and taught to learn information, not memorize it - but learn it, with a reason as to why it would be important for them to learn and what significance it has to their lives, students would have no problem learning the information and no problem recalling it years down the line.
ReplyDelete