Wednesday, April 27, 2011

blog 9

In my future classroom I think I would use group work for project based learning. I think the students can draw on each other's strengths and weaknesses to learn new things. I think I would also use group work for labs. I think depending on how the groups are functioning it would be of a lot of value to students. Group work teaches responsibility and communication skills. I think it's a necessary tool to be able to work with others. Group work seems like it would be difficult to grade. I think a good way would be to have a list of responsibilities laid out (who's doing what, etc) and see how much work that student put into the assignment, if they even completed the assignment.

4 comments:

  1. I would agree that group work is essential to teach to students. However, I do not think the format we used for this class would be useful in most secondary schools. After observing a bunch of different classes, kids simply do not do all the work that is required of them. I would suggest to use a format that you as the teacher have more control over. Perhaps block off time during the day so students can work in class. Grading is a whole other issue. How can a group grade be given if one person does not do the work. That will be a difficut decision as a teacher, but im sure we will all get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea that students recognize each other's strengths and weaknesses. Because some students are active, on the other hand, some of them are passive. If active students are interested in the projects, passive students may not talk much or they may not do anything. However, they have to contribute the projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its a good idea to have a list of responsibilities for each student to figure out what's being done and what's not to see who is contributing. I agree that group work is difficult to grade but that would definitely be a good way to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that group work is a necessary and valuable tool when the coniditions are right. Like Christina said, I think students can really benefit from the knowledge of their peers and demonstrate to others what they know in the process. Group work is also fun, engaging, and interactive. People are talking and moving; they are doing something all the time. A list of responsibilities is also a plus to assess the participation of level of all the students and I think a peer review is also a good way of getting to know the productivity level of all the students as well as their strengths and weaknesses (who is confident with certain areas and who is avoiding certain areas).

    ReplyDelete